North End Elementary Schools - Future Planning
The Somerset County Board of Education is exploring options for the future of the North end Elementary Schools. Princess Anne Elementary is now over 40 years old and in need of renovation or replacement. Deal Island and Princess Anne Elementary Schools are the only remaining ‘open-space’ schools which present safety & security as well as instructional challenges. Greenwood Elementary School is also over-crowded.
Two options currently under consideration are as follows:
- Retain the existing Princess Anne Elementary School and complete major renovations & additions as needed to accommodate grade PK-2 students from Princess Anne and Greenwood catchment areas.
- Greenwood Elementary School would retain students in grades 3-5.
- Deal Island Elementary School would remain PK-5 with no changes
- A new Elementary School to serve all of the students currently attending Deal Island Elementary, Princess Anne Elementary, and Greenwood Elementary. (PK-5)
- The building would be divided into an Early Learning Center (PK-2) and an Elementary side (3-5) with shared resources.
- The site would be a new property, centrally located to all 3 existing schools’ catchment areas.